clara_x
clara_x asks:
Q:

What are some teaching aids that can be used to teach mathematics to students with special needs?

In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs

|

In order to best answer your question, can you please give us some additional information such as:
How old are your students?
What exactly are your trying to teach them - addition, multiplication, algebra?
Are their any physical limitations - can't hold on to items, difficulty hearing or seeing?  

Once we get a little more information, I think we will be able to point you in the right direction.

0
0

OrientalLady
OrientalLady writes:
Use crayons, pencils for adding and subtracting. You can also use some different object around the house leaves, Logos, Books, anything that the child likes. To make them interested in Math. Just remember to repeat and repeat, for them to remember.
Try getting some Math workbooks, and use stickers for reinforcement rewards. Also make lists of counting by twos, ect. and put these in the bathroom on the mirror, near the bed, anywhere they will be seen. This is how I personally learned multipulcation.

0
0
clara_x
clara_x writes:
Dear Barbk,
the kids are around 6 years old.slow learner or deaf. and got no physical limitations.
i hope you can give your opinion about this.
ty.

0
0
BarbK , Teacher writes:
Clara,

I am assuming that you are the one who will have to pay for these items, so I will suggest things that you either have already or can collect easily from family, friends, and parents.  I will also mention some items that are low cost or things you can make on a teacher's pay check.  

I am also assuming that you will be teaching your students how to count, add, subtract, compare quantities, sort, measurement, shapes, etc.  Here are just a few ideas off my head of things you can use as manipulatives.

Things to collect:
Old keys
Poker chips
Screw-off bottle caps
Paper clips
Corks from your favorite wine
Buttons
Plastic measuring cups and spoons
Dice (known as number generators in a school setting)
Cards (take the face cards out)
Rulers
Ping pong balls

Inexpensive things to buy:
Sticker dots (like the ones used in pricing items at a garage sale)
Small erasers  (Oriental Trading - see first web link below)

Things to make:
Colored pasta (see second web link - use all shapes and sizes)
Wooden cubes (make your own number generators)

Pencil boxes are a great way to store some of the smaller items.

One item that I would invest in is a Judy Clock or one like it to teach your students how to read an analog clock.  

If you need more ideas or if I didn't answer your question, let us know.

0
0
sirenssong
sirenssong writes:
I have a special needs student that I taught at home using "math u see" the programs are excellent and they use manipulatives, color, and stories to teach math.  The child comes away with the ability to reason through word problems as well as  place value, addition subtraction etc.  there are even overlays for algebra and fractions in the advanced levels.

0
0