MichelleAbcs
MichelleAbcs asks:
Q:

What teaching method was used for reading in the mid 70's?

I have tried to explain to my husband why I have such difficulty reading. I feel confident that it was related to the method in which I was taught how to read.  I don't remember a lot about it besides the fact that the school abandoned this method.  

We were given these "special" books in which you were to sound out the words in order to read. I do remember that everything was misspelled and was a kind of phonics program. Does anybody remember what this style of teaching was or understand what I am talking about.  I to this day HATE reading and really feel cheated.  This all came up recently because I have a daughter who is learning to read and I JUST NOW figured out that all long vowels sounds are the same sound as the letters name.  I am in my 40's for goodness sake!!!!  I was so neglected as a young student.

Thank you,
Michelle

|