Lean
Lean asks:
Q:

What do you think about teaching Christian values in mathematics?

I'm Alex taking up Secondary Education major in Mathematics. Since Mathematics mostly deals with the numbers and etc. As a Christian, personally, I love to integrate Christian values through teaching. In my opinion integrating values while teaching is a great help for the students to develop christian attitudes like learning how to be patience, or learn how to apply problem solving on everyday life and to to manage their time wisely.

Alexis Caducio
Manila, Philippines
In Topics: Helping my child with math

|

Best Answer!

Hi Alexis,

At a U.S. public school, a teacher would need to consider that his/her students may come from multiple religious backgrounds. The U.S. Constitution grants religious freedom, and not every student is a Christian. So teaching values labeled as Christian during a math lesson could potentially infringe upon the rights of (and make uncomfortable) the atheists, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and other students in the classroom who aren't Christian.

As a parent of a child in such a classroom, I'd request from the teacher more information about how the Christian religion pertains to the facts of the math lessons, and how that teaching would help my student learn basic math facts and meet state standards for math skills. Unless associated with a numerical word problem or statistical analysis, the examples you gave sound more like life skills lessons, and could apply to values across multiple religions (not just the Christian faith).

To focus on Christianity in your lessons, you might consider teaching math at a Catholic private school or a Christian institution where parents and students can expect the Christian faith to be incorporated into the curriculum.    

Thanks for asking this interesting question! Below are some additional resources you may find informative as well.
3
0

soulavenue
soulavenue writes:
hello there sir! I definitely agree with your opinion regarding integrating christian values to math. I must say that Math is not an easy subject that's why it requires patience in problem solving and not only that,it takes a lot of effort. Most of the time,problem solving also applies in real life but Mathematics is very useful in our daily life. It is interesting yet exciting!

3
0
bennepi
bennepi writes:
I am a Christian and have taught in both government schools and a Christian school over the past 15 years.  I encourage you to pray frequently about how God wants to use you in your students' lives.  I believe the best way to teach Christian values is to live them out in front of your students and when your students aren't around.  That said, the attitudes and values that you're referring to are not considered exclusively Christian.

As a true Christian, you cannot leave your faith at the doorstep to the school.  Trusting in the One who made you to provide the actions and the words your students need to see and hear from you will be helpful, but also recognizing and understanding that God is the author of all things, including math, should be a help in relating as a Christian to those you teach.  

All the best to you and may God richly bless your service,

Rich

1
0
ZULEYMA
ZULEYMA writes:
HI Alexis
To me their is no problem to teach math in a christen way, but you also have to know if the parent are ok with this. Not every one will take it bad but you must know before you get in trouble from the school or parents.

0
0
Marylcooper
Marylcooper writes:
You already have your answer.Your Christian values should be involved in every aspect of your life. The minute you loose focus on what truly matters and focus on other opinions then you'll loose sight of how to truly problem solve. God Bless!

0
0