J12345
J12345 asks:
Q:

Any techniques on helping my child break some new pronunciation habits? She has been pronouncing these sounds correctly for years, but now changing.

My four-year-old preschooler has always had excellent verbal skills and pronunciation.  However, in the last two months she has started changing the way she says some things.  For example, instead of "I" she now says "oy" and "mommy" has become "maw-my."  The same applies to any other words with the same sounds.  I don't know if this is something she is picking up from a friend at school.  We have tried gently reminding her but she gets upset and says she knows how to say it.  We are afraid this is becoming a habit that will be hard to break.  Any advice?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Speech and language issues

|

ashita21
ashita21 , Student writes:
for starters, since she gets so upset on being corrected, use the flip side of that coin.
praise and reward her every single time she pronounces words correctly. wen u praise/reward her, tell her clearly wat ur rewarding her ffor. use this reinforcement every time she uses the correct pronounciation.
and if needed, (if it is that bad) take away previous rewards for everytime she uses the wrong pronounciation. but that part is upto u!
the main idea is u use reinforcement in ur own way to get her to form a habit of correct pronounciation.

and also, make sure ur speech and language is absolutely clear!

i hope this helps... :)

0
0
Anonymous