Aeternis
Aeternis asks:
Q:

What techniques can individuals with concentration problems due to depression employ so that they can study and work passionately as they once did?

I am a college freshman who has always been very passionate about learning, studying, reading, and writing. My life-long depression, however, has now intensified to such an extent that I am, for the first time in my life, experiencing difficulty concentrating on the very work I once loved. What are some specific strategies, other than the obvious seeking of medical help, that scholars with depression can employ to focus on their studies? I know that there are brilliant scholars out there who work successfully despite their severe depression, so I would love to hear advice from some depressed academics about any techniques that facilitate their studious working in spite of their problem.
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Getting ready for college, Depression

|

Houli

First let me wish you the very best as you tackle the depression you are dealing with while in college. As a former high school guidance counselor I dealt with many students over the years who struggled with depression- often not diagnosed.

You appear to have to be well versed in the aspects of depression. This is a positive aspect as so many people struggle and don't understand why they feel the way they do.

Second, while you may not want to seek professional help, I strongly urge you to seek assistance. Perhaps a professional at the health clinic on your campus might recommend someone to talk with- and someone who may suggest medicine to help you.

I have found that people with depression often cannot resolve their issues by themselves. Please consider help from someone in the profession that is well trained to be of assistance.

Good luck.

1
0

LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
We all have our highs and lows in mental energy.  Keeping our mind in a high alert state requires some work and brain stimulation.  Diversions and distractions can be kept to a minimum if the brain is redirected with a few simple techniques:

- Listen to music while studying.  Music energies neurotransmitters and keeps the brain active.

- Try chewing gum, bouncing a leg, tapping  a foot or any other repetitive and rhythmic behavior while studying.  These are all ways to self-stimulate a lethargic brain.

- Take frequent breaks and use physical activity as an outlet during this time.  Physical exercise aids in problem solving and memory.  Taking a 10-minute walk in nature or playing basketball for 10 minutes will refresh the brain.  

- When starting to get depressed - change your posture.  Stick your chest out and lift your head up high while flinging back your arms.  Take a deep breath.  Say to yourself, "I can do this."  This instantly brings the mind back in focus mode.

- Maintain and visualize strong goals of completion.  The ability to visualize your goal will give you something to strive towards.  Keep visualizing the future and what you want to see.  This will empower you to work and create your goals.

Reward yourself and pat yourself on the back constantly for doing a good job.  The body responds, sometimes in amazing ways, when you feel positive about yourself.  Too often we get caught up feeling depressed or complaining about the things that we can't do.  Remind yourself daily of all the things you CAN do!

0
0
Anonymous