carmelnel
carmelnel asks:
Q:

How do I help my teen who has ADHD keep friends?

I'm struggling with a teen who has ADHD, and he's having social difficulties. How can I help him to keep friends?
In Topics: ADHD & attention issues, Friendships and peer relationships

|

Dear Carmelnel:

This is a skill building question and you are right on to ask it for this teen and all teens with ADHD.  The key is to ask him (it is usually a him) what does he like about his friends and what does he like doing with them.  Focus on one friend at a time.  These kids do better with short visits, focused activity, and rehearsing behavior.  What I mean by "rehearsing" is remind them of the social rules if it is a dance, party, or concert.  Tell them what is expected of them.  Have the teen invite one friend over and tell him to provide a few activities so they don't fix on one too long. Young teens will be different from older teens. There are also social skill building groups that are offered through the mental health network in your community as well as CHADD which is an organization for parents and people dealing with ADHD.  Go to their website and the Academy of Pediatrics.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

1
0
Anonymous