Sande
Sande asks:
Q:

Does anyone have thoughts on how I can help my grandson?  He's 13 years old and has PPD and is having behavior issues.

My 13 year old grandson has PPD. He is the sweetest young man, but this year he is experiencing many difficulties with peers. He does not interact well with them so naturally gravitates to the troublemakers who tease him into doing things he knows he shouldn't be doing. My daughter works closely with the school and they try to stay on top of this, but he is acting out more and more. He is now getting up in the middle of class and just walking around the room or out of the classroom. He is beginning to swear constantly and lashes out at authority. He doesn't have a very goos short term memory so will repeat the bad behavior even after discussing it with his mom, the teachers, or me.
He is great in sports and goes out for the teams, but cannot remember the plays so sits on the bench quite a bit of the time which frustrates him and makes him lash out even more. He has never had this many problems and even his therapist is running out of ideas.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how to help him?
In Topics: Special needs, My child's grandparent(s)

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

It would seem from your questions that your daughter may need to revisit with the school and have a behavioral management program available, possibly. There appears to have been some changes of behaviors that may need a closer look, monitoring and/or introduction of formal assistance.   Also, if this was my child, I may consider taking him to his physician to see if there are any physical reasons for the alteration of behavior other than the onset of the teen years.  Particularly since he has begun to lash out and swear often. Also, a physician may be able to make a referral to a diagnostic team which can delve deeper in to your grandson's psychological, physical and academic profile.

We wish you the very best during these difficult times.

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0

Kayerich
Kayerich writes:
I think my choice of career (a business owner) came out of a direct need to be in charge of my own time and be able to do what i want, when I want. As a result, I spent a significant amount of time building my dream by reading biographies of people who were succesful at business and getting to meet people in my communities who were doing the same.  

To date, I still do much of the same...I am continuosly inspried when i see people pursuing their passions and earning a living from it at the same time...it makes for quite a fulfilling life.

0
0
Anonymous