SarahSekhar
SarahSekhar asks:
Q:

My Three-Year-Old Son's Behavior

My son is three and my daughter is 1.  They have a stepbrother who is 5 years old and visits every other weekend.  When he is over, my son is so aggressive towards him.  He hits and kicks and is generally mean to him.  Time outs, loss of privileges....nothing works.  It's always hard for me to spend 4 days yelling at my son, when my stepson is no angel - his dad just doesn't see it.

Any ideas on how to get my son to listen and behave when his brother is over?

|

Sabi55
Sabi55 writes:
I have noticed on this board people seem to want a quick fix and they want to control the situation fast. The first thing is read up about the development of a 3 year old. Not from parent center but from a real psychology book. Also it takes a lot of patience but yelling only creates more problems also you are teaching to yell. So don't be surprised when your kid yells. Tell you son to use his words if he hits tell him no hit and to use his words tell him it is okay to say he is angry. Time outs don't work, look, the brain of a child is not wired like a 20 year old they are not so diabolically as so many people would parents think. Anyway, how many people at work do you see that still suck there thumbs or hit and kick people. Zero. Please take to heart that everything is okay, and to get in the situation means patience and words. Simple to the point and you  will probably do it 200 times (no hit use words) but it will work. There are no quick solution but I have noticed we get so worked up to something that kids just do and we can guide it takes time. You are a great parents so don't take it as a reflection of yourself when they act impulsive. They are suppose to they think hit and they do. So insert a new way that's it. Above all trust your instincts. Trust you can do this it will just take time.

0
0