bluemeringue
bluemeringue asks:
Q:

Are you a tiger mom?

My son started high school in a new district this year. He's feeling anxious about the cultural shift (from a sheltered suburban school to the city) and about keeping up his grades (since he's hyper-aware that they now "count"). I've been fighting the urge to push him, but I'm not sure if I'm doing him a grave disservice. I definitely want him to work for As, but I don't want to stress him so much about grades that he freezes on tests and/or suffers emotional distress. How much pressure is too much pressure in high school?
In Topics: School and Academics, Motivation and achievement at school

|

Motivation with high school students can be tricky!  I am one who always advocates for open lines of communication between parent and child. Therefore, you may wish to sit down together and draw up an action plan.

This may include:

1- Clear expectations from what your son wants out of his education and what you wish for him

2- How work will be accomplished? After school? After dinner?

3- If he needs support from an outside source, such as a tutor, mentor, test-prep program, guidance counselor, etc.

4- Use of organizational materials to help with keeping all the materials in their right places and accessible.

1
0