chelsey96
chelsey96 asks:
Q:

What time should kids get out of school?

In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school, Special needs

|

Vwindman

We have quite a large school district.  We also have a full-day kindergarten.  Our schools start at different times but all of schools have a seven hour day.  We have had discussion about having the high school start later as older students have difficulty waking up early. On the flipside our high school students particpate in sports, work or care for their younger siblings so the idea was vetoed.

0
0

Hi chelsey96,

Actually the exact school hours tend to differ from school to school (as well as age group). While preschoolers and kindergartners might only spend a half day, and kids in early elementary school might get out at 2:15, kids in middle school or kindergarten might get out after 3:00.

I don't think there's any right answer for what time kids should be getting out of school. It's hard to know what is appropriate for different kids, as some kids tend to have a longer attention span than others. 7:00 - 3:00 day might be okay for some kids, for others, it's quite difficult to hang in there and be attentive for that long.

Great question! I'm curious to hear what others think.

Alex

1
0
emerald16
emerald16 writes:
Where I live elementary school is from 8-3:15 High school is from 7:10 to 2:30. It all depends on the school district.

1
0
Our school begins at 7:50 and dismisses at 2:35 (including Kindergarten).  The neighboring county starts at 8:30 and dismisses at 3:00, and the other neighboring county begins at 9:00 and dismisses at 3:30.  I personally feel that starting later, like the 8:30 or 9:00 would be better, due to bus riders are often leaving their house in the dark and I feel that children would perform better because it would be easier waking up a little later, but on the flip side, by getting our earlier in the evening gives them a little extra play time, because they can have their homework complete before the other school even dismisses.  Just a thought.

0
0