liloco
liloco asks:
Q:

how much time should I spend with my six year old and how much time should I leave her to entertain herself

I'm a single mother and when I get home with my daughter after school I struggle between spending time with her and making dinner, getting laundry done, cleaning up, etc.  I feel badly leaving her alone after she spent all day in school, but I hate to wait to do everything until she's gone to bed.
In Topics: Work/family balance

|

Juggling the demands of the work, home and parenting can be tough, not to mention physically exhausting! Doing it all as a single parent that much more a challenge. Good for you in questioning the impact on your daughter, and seeking insight into how to better balance the household needs with her needs for parental attention and guidance.  

Here's a suggestion for accomplishing both: involve her in the household chores as much as possible. This is something I have been doing with my daughter since she was five (she's seven now). For us, it has created productive 'bonding time' when we work together to fold the clothes or make dinner (soup and pasta dishes her favorites to make with me). We also use the time to talk about how things went at school that day, and just be together (vs. having her sit in front of TV while I do all the heavy lifting).

Here's an article on Education.com that might also offer some insight for you:

http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Single_Parenthood/

2
0