Q:

Need tips to get 5 year old twin boys to stand flat on their feet vs. tip toes.

"I have twins two boys 5 years old. They both walking on his toes. I did many programs but they still walking in his toes. Is there something to help them to stand flat on the foot? Thank you if you have something to share with me."

Asked by Norma after reviewing the Activity, "Exercise the Alphabet Outside":
http://www.education.com/activity/article/Exerc...
In Topics: Physical Health, Parenting multiples

|

It is not unusual for some five year olds and younger to walk on their toes.  I would check with your pediatrician to be sure that the tendons are not tight and that walking on the flat of the foot is possible. Staying in shoes or sneakers is a help as flip flops and barefeet can aggravate the problem.  Spasticity is some times also an issue.  Speak with your doctor.

wayne Yankus, MD, FAAP

2
0

vdancer
vdancer writes:
As a movement therapist, I sometimes see young children continue to walk with their heels off the floor.  Some of these children may in essence be delaying their development, or demonstrating a subtle difficulty in coming "down to earth".  I agree to check with the pediatrician to see if the child's early reflexes are integrating well as they should, and if the child's sensory system, including touch and balance, are at age level. I would also give lots of opportunity for the foot to develop a love of the feel of the earth underneath, by walking on different pleasant and safe surfaces - sand, mud, shallow water, both in well-fitting shoes and in bare feet.

2
0
Anonymous