dgraab , Parent asks:
Q:

What are your tips for helping a working mom overcome insomnia?

A friend of mine is having trouble sleeping at night. She works full-time in a stressful management position at an energy company in a bustling city about 30 minutes from her home (commuting by public transportation). This is the first summer her children have spent away from her (they're vacationing with their father in Asia for the summer). This means she is returning home from her job to an empty house for the first time in many years (they don't have a family dog or cat -- only a pet lizard). Typically she would leave work around 5pm, to pick up her children from their after-school childcare arrangements, but with the kids gone this summer, she's been staying later at the office putting in extra hours. She's also been experiencing insomnia for the past few weeks, and has asked her friends for suggestions to help her overcome it.

What would you suggest? How do you wind down, release your professional and parental worries, and fall fast asleep?
In Topics: Sleep and rest, Work/family balance, Motherhood

|

Try exercise, try warm milk before bed (trytophan), read. Avoid alcohol or caffeine and try skype or emailing to touch base with the family.  Learn to knit or join a book group that meets in the evening or take up yoga.

Hope this helps.

1
0

Best Answer!

Meditation, massage, hot bath (add a couple of drops of lavender essential oil), and chamomile tea may help to induce sleep.  Exercise at least 2 hours before bedtime may also be beneficial.  

Also, look up these lifestyle and home remedies for insomnia recommended by the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/insomnia/DS00187/DSECTION=lifestyle%2Dand%2Dhome%2Dremedies

1
0

rxnn
rxnn writes:
Well insomnia is a medical condition and should be treated as such, her choices are to do things that normally help her wind down, get some over the counter sleeping aid pills to help her fall asleep and i highly suggest she see a Dr because taking over the counter too long can cause a dependency to the pills.

0
0
As a huge fan of alternative medicine, I'd have to say that yoga and meditation are by far my favorite methods of relaxation. I took a meditation class in college, and have been practicing ever since.

We explored many different techniques: breathing exercises, stretching, imagining a calm scene, repetition of a statement, counting. Most people who practice meditation have a favorite, but there's no right or wrong way to do it.

I'd encourage your friend to give it a try. Yoga classes are held virtually everywhere. I've also heard of many community centers or adult schools holding short, inexpensive classes to teach meditation techniques. Below, I've included a link to a good article on the topic.

Good luck to her!

1
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Hello and thank you for your question to JustAsk,

In addition to great answers also posted here, may I suggest that journal writing can be relaxing and also help to ease the mind by putting any worries in to perspective.  

I hope this helps.

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Owner of Signing Families  www.SigningFamilies.com
Host of radio program- Learning and Laughter with Louise!  Toginet Radio

1
0
Anonymous