Q:

I need tips to teach elementary students effectively.

Asked by Edwin via email.
In Topics: School and Academics, Helping my child with school work and home work

|

Allyn Anderson

There are a multitude of resources on the market today to help with building your skills for teaching elementary students effectively. Not knowing your skills, it's difficult to provide specific directions. But, I've included a couple of websites to help you begin to explore the field. Happy searching!
0
0

jaz1999
jaz1999 writes:
you should that them have fun maybe you should just give them easy work.

1
1
vicy_verghese2006
vicy_verghe... writes:
The first and foremost thing is be friendly with your students.This will create an interest in the minds of students to listen your teachings.Teach them through games and actions,this will help them to listen and also remember the teachings more.Teach the rymes with action.Teach them with colourfull picture books so that they will be attracted more.

0
0
greenprof2
greenprof2 writes:
Hi -

I certainly wouldn't recommend giving your students "just easy work" - if you want them to learn anything, you will need to challenge them and maintain high standards. As a long-time educator, one of the best resources for teaching strategies I have ever seen is the book by Merrill Harmin and Melanie Toth, Inspiring Active Learning: A Complete Handbook for Today's Teachers (2006, ASCD), which contains hundreds of really effective strategies, including strategies to motivate, extend learning, and evaluate.

I also recommend, if you are a teacher, attending a summer workshop. Many regions receive "Improving Teacher Quality" grants which are directed to universities to provide professional development for teachers. Teachers actually get stipends ($100/day) and learn many new skills in these summer institutes. Check your state's higher education website and search for them. Good luck.

Michael Bentley, Expert Panel Member

1
0