dad of two
dad of two , Parent asks:

my town has two middle schools i want my children to go to the school on the oppsite side of town we live on do i have to pay tution or fees?

In Topics: Choosing a school
> 60 days ago



Feb 16, 2009
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hi dad of two,

I'm assuming both schools you've mentioned here are public schools...correct?

If that's the case, you'll need to call the school district office to find out if they have an "inter-district transfer" procedure. Some districts have a process in place that allows children go to a different school than they're assigned to. Typically parents need to complete a form and then there's a lottery process right before school starts (when schools know whether or not they have any extra availability). There are usually no fees or tuition required for an inter-district transfer but it can be very hard to get a transfer into the most desirable schools in the district.

Not all districts allow inter-district transfers. Some require that all students attend the school they're assigned to based on the address of their home.

If you'd like to learn more about the schools in your area, you can find qualitative and quantitative data about them on our SchoolFinder resource - just click on the link below.

Good Luck!

Kat Community Team
Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely