Q:

Tracy asks: What can we do to make the administration stop the bullying of my niece by two cheerleaders on her squad?

"My niece is the new kid this year.  She has been being bullied by two cheerleaders on the same squad as her.  She went to the coach who told her to toughen up and get used to it.  When her mother e-mailed the coach she pulled my niece aside and told her to be a big girl and stop calling her mommy.  I feel like the coach is worse than the students because she is enabling them to continue this.  The girls parents are "well known volunteers at the school"  but we are all new to this area.  What can we do to make the administration stop this.  My niece loves cheerleading but wants to quit."

Above question asked by an Education.com visitor after reading the article, "What to Do if Your Child Is Being Bullied": http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...

|

It's very painful to watch a teenager struggle with bullying.  It must be especially difficult for your niece to tryto fit into a new school then on top of it, not being accepted by the other girls on her cheer squad.  I'm sure your niece is feeling very frustrated because she's attempted to talk to the coach but is not getting any help. It's great that you are a concerned and inovlved Aunt and are willing to help your niece however you can.

I would encourage your niece to document what has happened to her and what the response was by the coach, including details on what exactly was said by all parties involved.  Next, encourage your niece's mother to schedule an appointment with the principal or the school superintendent.  She should take her documented concerns with her to the meeting and be prepared to ask that specific action be taken.  If she doesn't get the results she is looking for she has the right to take her concerns to the next level such as the school board.  Tell her to continue to pursue this matter until her daughter is being treated respectfully.  

1-800-448-3000

1
0

There are so many issues with bullying these days. I have been doing some research lately on bullycide. And what I am discovering is shocking. Most parents of bullycide victims say to the parents : get involved! Don't let this bully incident keep on, it could damage her self esteem. The advice the coach gave was not professional or correct. In fact, I would looking for another team if in fact my child's coach acted like a peer. This is insulting to the extreme. Talk to the coach's boss and discuss the issue. If this does not help, then possibly finding a private cheerleading team or not affilicated with school would help. Whatever she does, she must get involved (the mother or parent).

1
0