jan123
jan123 asks:
Q:

How would I get a transfer for my child from a school in Chicago (where we live) to a school in Niles Il (which is right outside of Chicago)?

My child will be starting kinder and all the schools in our area that my child can attend are K-8th grd. I do not like any of the schools, they are too big! I would like my child to go to a K-6th grd. elementary school, which is in Niles IL, right outside of Chicago. Since I will be dropping off and picking up my child everyday, shouldn't it be easier to get a school transfer?
In Topics: Choosing a school

|
Hi Jan, Congrats on this special milestone in your child's education!

To answer your question, I recommend you contact the school district for the school you'd like your child to attend. Ask them about their enrollment and transfer-in policies. Typically districts don't make such policies based on the parent's ability to transport the child, and instead consider other factors such as residential zoning, state requirements for class size, space availability for the child's grade, etc.. Some school districts use a lottery system with transfers -- with no regard to individual circumstances, and for only a set number of spaces (from the pool of transfer applications, they randomly select a set quantity of students based on available spaces). Contact the school district for the school you'd like to attend to find out their specific policies. You can use SchoolFinder to research its contact info (if you don't already have it handy): http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/

I'm also including some additional resources below to support your family at this stage of your child's development and education. I hope she or he has a wonderful school year!

0
0
shaeealy
shaeealy writes:
Contact the school district in Niles and find out if they participate in the school of choice, If so there should be no problem with the transfer, as long as you can provide transportation.

0
0