rubywake
rubywake asks:
Q:

Transfer from New York to Florida schools

My son was born on Sept. 9, 2006, and is currently in the 1st grade in NY.  In NY, any child who was born in 2006 should be in the 1st grade.  I know that Florida (and many other states) are different and they cut off the eligibility as of September.  In other words, if we lived in FL, my son would still be in Kindergarten because of his birthday.  So my question is, when we move to Florida this summer, will the school require him to redo 1st grade or will they allow him to enter the 2nd grade?
In Topics: School and Academics, My Relationship with my child's school, State education standards

|

Houli

The answer to your question depends on the state of Florida's legal requirement regarding age, transfer from out of state, etc.  My initial thought is that your child would not have to repeat 1st grade if he completed all the requirements in his NY school.

If you are not satisfied with the decision of Florida officials, I suggest you make an appointment with the school principal or someone in the central office who handles  transfer at the district-wide office.  Good luck.

0
0