What can I do to help my troubled sons?

Asked by Jennifer via Contact Us:

Hello, I would like to find help for my troubled sons. They are ages 9 and 11, I am a single parent recently from a domestic violence situation. They currently have a therapist, Dr and a mentor. They constantly fight, hit, lie, tell each other they hate each other, talk back and disrespect me and my mother. I am to my wits end and feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. Is there help out there for them? What can I do to help them?
In Topics: Discipline and behavior challenges, Communicating with my child (The tough talks), Single parent families
> 60 days ago



Dec 1, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

I am very sorry to hear about your family situation.  I hope that you see a therapist as well to help you through this difficult time.

Children experience stress just like adults.  However, because of their cognitive and emotional immaturity often they have a hard time to deal with stress and they act out.  Since your sons already see a therapist, perhaps it is the time to talk to him or her that whatever treatment is being implemented at this time, it is ineffective.  Your boys should be reevaluated at this time.  Please schedule an appointment with their therapist asap.

Best regards.
Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely