Q:

What can I do to help my troubled sons?

Asked by Jennifer via Contact Us:

Hello, I would like to find help for my troubled sons. They are ages 9 and 11, I am a single parent recently from a domestic violence situation. They currently have a therapist, Dr and a mentor. They constantly fight, hit, lie, tell each other they hate each other, talk back and disrespect me and my mother. I am to my wits end and feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. Is there help out there for them? What can I do to help them?
In Topics: Discipline and behavior challenges, Communicating with my child (The tough talks), Single parent families

|

I am very sorry to hear about your family situation.  I hope that you see a therapist as well to help you through this difficult time.

Children experience stress just like adults.  However, because of their cognitive and emotional immaturity often they have a hard time to deal with stress and they act out.  Since your sons already see a therapist, perhaps it is the time to talk to him or her that whatever treatment is being implemented at this time, it is ineffective.  Your boys should be reevaluated at this time.  Please schedule an appointment with their therapist asap.

0
0
Anonymous