rd1963
rd1963 asks:
Q:

Ok my twelve year old has adhd and I've tried to look around for things that she can keep her mind focused on and it is hard?

In Topics: School and Academics, Teen issues, ADHD & attention issues

|

You're right, it is hard to keep the attention of anybody who suffers from ADHD.  When you got your child diagnosed did you get offered any medication to help with this?  Medication can be very helpful for the child and the parents.  The children often times want to please and do what they can to stay focused, it is just incredibly hard for them.  If you haven't yet, you may want to look into that possibility.  ADHD has many different variations and each case of ADHD is unique.  Use the professionals in your area for guidance.  

Also use different teaching techniques to keep her engaged.  Stories, narratives, and examples are all things that catch people's attention and they will listen to stories or real life examples.  Keep your child interested by making what they are working on relevant and an opportunity for success!

A healthy diet is also important.  It is important to cut down on sugars and sweets when they have to focus.  This is also setting them up for success.  

Finally, come up with a plan for your child together.  Children know what troubles they have so talk with them about it and come up with a plan together that will work for everybody.  Children are often more apt to stick to a plan when they have a say in what it is!  Good luck!

And if you ever need to talk, contact our hotline.  We are a hotline that specializes in talking with parents about these sort of problems.  We are available 24 hours, free of charge!

Counselor, Dominic
1-800-448-3000
www.parenting.org

1
0

megib
megib writes:
Adhd despite what any doctor says is a nutritional on set problem! Get her off all sugar, sodas & high fructose cornsyurps. Switch to all natural foods. Veggies, fruit & proteins they are the best for her. Get off any meds! I 100% believe they are not the answer. If you get her on a good diet you will see she will she can focuse better and her Adhd will not be a problem for much longer. I added link about Adhd. I hope you can listen to it and it can help you :)

0
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:

Like your daughter, I have had my share of experiences with ADHD. Some may consider it a "disability", yet I consider it a learning style and sometimes a challenge. The good news is that once you figure out what is the most helpful for keeping you on task, then it is easier to stay focused.  This may be of help:

1- Some people with ADHD need to switch tasks - often.  A few minutes here and a few minutes there. I found that chewing gum actually helped keep me on task. And having a good planner helped, too!

2- Others may find music or TV disrupting, but I found it comforting and helpful. Especially if it wasn't a program that drew in my interest but something mundane like the weather channel.

3- Color coding helped to keep me organized.  Folders of different colors helped me to know which subjects were which.  I also would switch off different color pens.

4- Use of a voice recorder helped for me to learn multimodally.  And now with smartphones and computers it is really easy to use a variety of online and technology oriented methods for learning and focusing.

GOOD LUCK!

Louise Sattler
Psychologist

1
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
You might try a "Sit and Move" cushion from www.theraproducts.com to help her stay more focused while sitting.  It allows gentle movement just like some of us adults need (we shake our leg or tap our fingers!)
Ask her what helps her stay focused.  Often kids her age can tell you.  Chewing gum, sucking on candy, and doodling while they listen often helps.

1
0
Christine Selna
Christine Selna writes:
In working with students such as your 12 year old, I've noticed that some are what I tend to call 'pressure kids' while some are 'stretch kids'. Try to determine what can help her focus - something like a text book on her lap while she reads (if she's pressure), or do a series of stretches - hanging from monkey bars or just a good all body stretch before starting a project. The stretching might even have to be done a couple times during the project, but she may be able to pay more attention as it progresses. Hope that helps!

1
0
Anonymous