Q:

Should my twins be in the same kindergarten class?

"I have a set of twins (boy and girl), and my son is handicapped but my daughter is not. They will be going to kindergarten next year and there will be 3 kindergarten classes. One all boy class and one all girl class and the third class will be a small group in which my handicapped son will be in. What should I do? It is up to me to decide if I want my daughter to be in the smaller class with her brother or the class with all the girls. I do not want to hold her back in any way from learning at her maximum potential."

Asked by Denise in commenting on the article, "When To Separate Twins": http://www.education.com/magazine/column/entry/...
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Parenting multiples

|

Miriam1
Miriam1 writes:
Dear Mother of Twins,

Normally I'll say keep your kids together if you can, especially if they complement each other, also it's easier to deal with one classroom activities versus two.
However you have a special situation. Your son will have the attention needed in the small class, and will your daughter in the all girls' class. My suggestion is to split them, give them a couple of months, check with their teachers to find out how they are doing, and talk to your kids, you will be able to find out if they are happy or unhappy. This will be the first year of many school years; you may be able to talk to teachers, principals and request changes when needed, providing that your school is able to accommodate your family's requests.

I suggest checking the National Organization of Mothers of Twins Club, Inc. data base at www.nomotc.org NOMOTOC can help you to find local clubs for parents with multiples. The below link has useful information you may want to check, title - School Issues: Separate or Together

1
0
Anonymous