Laura R
Laura R asks:
Q:

My twins are being separated for elementary school.  What should I do?

My twins are starting Kindergarten in August.  We just received their teacher assignment in the mail and they are being separated for the first time EVER. They've never been away from home without a parent or grandparent. What should I do? Should I let this happen or should I try to keep them together for at least their first experience with being away from home and with strangers?
In Topics: Choosing a school

|
amijoni
amijoni writes:
I would be wondering the same! I really believe in twins being treated as individuals and would for sure eventually want them in separate classrooms, but for their first year, I guess it depends alot on their personalities. I guess if they were my children, if one is much more outgoing than the other, I would probably lean to having them separated. If they are both really shy or timid, I would be leaning toward pushing to having them together. I'm guessing the 'experts' would say to separate! Most kindergarten teachers are WONDERFUL, so you'll probably not have any issues once they get into the swing of school! Good luck!

0
1
dad of two
dad of two , Parent writes:
Talk to you school princables to see if you could keep them in the same schools.when i was growing up they would even let brothers or sisters play on seperate sport team if they were in the same age group.Being they are twins and most twins have a special bond i think they will work with you.

0
1
doublebundles
doublebundles writes:
Unfortunately, most schools will not allow your twins to be in the same class. Even if it is a boy/girl twin as mine are. My daughter hasn't had much trouble this year but my son is a total different story. Kindergarten was their first separation, they had never done anything apart. But that is not to say they wouldn't have separate friends or play separately. All I can say is to teach them little things and talk to the teacher. My kids teachers didn't know they were twins. I had to explain my kids position. I feel my daughters teacher is far more understanding. (she's new) Where as my son's teacher is far my strict and it's her way and nothing else. (she's been teaching 15 yrs) I have taught my kids to do the pinky wave as they pass one another and some sign language. I know it's not what you want to hear but all you have is time. They will get through this. Heck I am hoping next year will be better.

1
0
Twinmama
Twinmama writes:
This is probably too late, but some states parents get to have a say in whether their multiples are separated.  My twin girls are together in kindergarten my request.  I will wait things out before I voice an opinion about next year.  There are 5 sets of twins in the kindergarten class and at least 3 of the other 4 are separated.

0
0
joja
joja , Parent writes:
I think you may try this year and leave them separated, earlier is better, you may suffer at the beginning but it's for their own good, i have a twin girls at 1st grade, the school administration advised me to separate them at kindergarten but i refused for an emotional reasons, but they were right cause i have a specific girl always superior than the other, i intend this year to separate them, i think it will be good for both socially and educational.

0
0