CamillesMom
CamillesMom asks:
Q:

What should a typical first grader be able to do?

I work hard to advocate for my autistic child and believe she has the potential to function in a typical evironment.  One of my challenges is I really dont know what a 6 year old 1st grader should be able to do.  The school is not as helpful as I would like - Im sure others can relate.  My daughter has a hard time comprehending language and reading - Any suggestions?
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Dear Camille's Mom:

A six year old child should begin to learn some specific skills such as batting a ball.  They begin to impose rules on play but may have trouble  with cooperation.  They value independence.  They can count to 100, refine concepts of shape, space, time, color and numbers.  They can ask endless how-what-where-why questions, and have a short attention span.  Most six year olders use crayons and paints with some skill.

Reading and language can be difficult at this age and therefore being read to is important.

Work with your school to obtain the necessary services to enable her to reach her full potential.  Being her best advocate, I am sure you will get it done.  Good luck.

Wayne Yankus, MD, FAAAP

0
0

tmn7169
tmn7169 writes:
I have an 8 year old autistic son, so I feel your pain. My son is finally doing well in school. I think sometimes schools address the disorder and not the child. Is your child in an inclusion class at school? My son has a hard time with both language and comprehension. He has gotten a lot better over the last year. He is reading on his grade level but still is having trouble comprehending what he reads. So, he is getting speech therapy and special education services. You may want to see what types of services your daughter can receive at school. It is not about singling her out but getting a little extra help, so she can reach her full potential. I hope this helps, hang in there things will get better.

0
0