jayleesummers
jayleesummers asks:
Q:

Unfair punishment?

My 17 year-old son had an after school detention for missing a lunch detention.  While he was serving his after school detention, he was written up for "asking to go to the bathroom several times" and "pretending to read a Spanish book".  His punishment for this was 3 days of ISS (in-school suspension).  I think that this is very unfair.  Bodily habits cannot be controlled on whim and saying that a child is "pretending" to read is an opinion.
I would like to talk to someone about it, but the last time that I spoke with the assistant principal, he was very condescending to me. And I really don't want to have to deal with him.
He only has problems with 2 teachers at school and has had problems with these same teachers for the last 3 years.  Last year he got 6 days of ISS for yawning in class, which I thought was ridiculous also.
I'm not sure what I should do or whom I should talk to.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), My Relationship with my child's school, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

The punishment you describe seems to have a purpose- to hold your son responsible for his behavior. The punishment seems reasonable.  What you are describing is that he has problems with two teachers, does not come for detention during lunch, avoids consequences, and tests the limits. He has been assigned to ISS prior to this incident after school.

As a parent, it is natural to advocate for your child. Talk to your son about what he can do to make the situation better. Talk to the school counselor to see if you perception is accurate or not. Decide how you can support your son and help him to improve his behavior. At 17, he needs to know he is responsible and considered an adult by law.

1
0
Anonymous