Gsh95
Gsh95 asks:
Q:

How do I tell somebody about my urges to cut?

I don't cut but I've got the urge to cut so many times.
I'm afraid to tell somebody for 2 reasons:
1) I don't want to make the people around me sad because of it. I saw many people online go crazy because they know somebody that does it. I don't want the people that I care about to feel that way.
2) I don't feel that I'm worth treatment because I don't really cut, I only think about it.
I don't go to the school counselor because I'm afraid that people will discover my problem. Every grade in our school has a school counselor. This year our school counselor became the counselor of another grade and we got a new one. I don't like the new counselor and I don't have the strength to go through the procedure of going to another counselor.
What can I do?
In Topics: Teen issues, Cutting

|

Houli

Is there anyone at school or in the community you feel you can talk with right now?  I strongly urge you to talk with someone as thinking about cutting could easily lead to further steps.  Having someone to help you work through this area is an important step to take immediately.

0
0

judy_h
judy_h writes:

I am so sorry to hear that you feel this way. You have taken a great first step by reaching out for help. However, an online community cannot provide all of the support you need. Here are a few things you can and should do to get the help that you deserve:

-Call a National Suicide Hotline (it's free, confidential, and 24/7): 1-800-DONT-CUT
-Talk to a trusted adult (teacher, counselor, parent, etc.) They will help you find support, and get you to a therapist or trained professional.
-If you ever feel that your life is in immediate danger, call 911 immediately.

I wish you the very best. Please get help from an adult as soon as possible.

Judy
Community Team

1
0
VWMomma
VWMomma , Parent writes:
I know the feeling, I went through that too as a teenager, but like you, I never did cut.

Some things that worked for me were poetry and writing. I got out the "darker" urges and emotions, but didn't hurt me. It's strange to read them now as I have lost that urge, but they are an insight into who I was and might help with my own kids some day.

You could also go to the old counselor, they may not be "yours" but they are there to help students, and if you need to go to them instead it shouldn't be an issue.

Or, as the previous poster said, call a hotline, you may not feel suicidal per say, but they are there to help with any thing like this.

Sometimes all it takes is a healthy outlet to get over those urges. If that doesn't help, you might want treatment, just in case.

Best of luck!

1
0