Q:

What is the best Valentine's Day present you've received from your child?

We have many ideas for great homemade cards and gifts (http://www.education.com/seasonal/valentines/ ). However, we'd love to hear from you about the wonderful heartfelt Valentine's Day presents you've received from your children. Thanks for sharing!

In Topics: Family fun / holiday celebrations

|
I posted this question on Facebook, and here is one response from a Los Angeles-based mother of two adult children (and grandmother to three)...

"I have saved every Valentine card my children have ever given me, both handmade and store bought. I cherish them and sometimes they make me feel loved if I am having a sad day."

My own child is only in second grade so I suspect I have many years to come of lovely Valentine's Day gifts. My favorite thus far was a painted hand print with a poem about why she loved me next to it. The teacher even framed it, and it hangs on our wall year-round.

1
0
ClaireChicagoMom4
ClaireChica... writes:
Breakfast in bed and a clean kitchen

1
0
Children have the best ways of showing their love, theirs is straight and true from the heart.  Nothing commercial about it, they just simply love you and it shows in the most simple ways.  However, when they're young, it helps if a parent or someone is involved in helping them think of a thoughtful, hand-made token.  Education.com has many activities that are great for this, but I did want to share one of my favorite gifts.  It wasn't for Valentine's Day, it was actually a Mother's Day gift, but it would be special on any occasion.  At school, they used construction paper to cut out 6 petals of a flower (the petals were about 6 inches long) and they wrote on each petal - something that they loved about you.  They then glued the petals to a round center (about 5 inches across) and attached a green stem (about 3 inches wide) to complete the flower.  The teacher laminated it and then the kids cut around their work to create this perfect flower that will last forever.  I keep mine displayed in my china cabinet along with other little treasures.  It was amazing to read what she had wrote--I'll share:

You take me to different parks.
You come to the school.
You care about me.
You do fun stuff with me like crafts.
You're very funny.
I Love you Mom.

I thought what it made it so special was that she had made mention of things, that I didn't realize meant so much to her, such as my participation in school activities or the crafts we do together.  Proof that the little things do make a difference in a child's life. :-)

0
0
pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Since preschool, my second grader always bring home a card that he made from school for me on Valentine's Day.  My son is not a crafty person but I still love and appreciate all the imperfectly cut out hearts.  This year, my son came home with no card.  I asked whether he did not have time to make one.  He said, "no one made it mom".  I said, "okay maybe the teacher is busy".  I think he saw the disappointment in my face so he went to his backpack to look for something.  I did not know what he was looking for as I was making dinner.  

Before I go to sleep, I always write in my gratitude journal.  On Monday - Valentine's Day - I cried uncontrollable when I saw what was in my journal.  My son put a sharpened pencil (it was a pencil given to him from his classmate and he sharpened it for me) in the spiral of my journal.  The gesture was extremely touching because he observed that I write my journal with a pencil and he put it in a place where he knew I would look.

My perfect Valentine's Day gift - a sharpened pencil.

Vicki

0
0