earl
earl asks:
Q:

Views and opinions on removing school lockers in the Temple ISD.

In my high school senior year, 1957, there were no lockers in any school. Students looked at the school schedule for that day, then selected the necessary books and bound them with a small belt to carry to school; Monday, Wednesday, Friday subjects or Tuesday, Thursday subjects. Pencils were in every classroom, and teachers issued a piece of paper if it was needed to each student. There were no heavy book bags, no personal items to keep up with, and no paper trash anywhere. All issued paper was put neatly in a pile on a desk on the way out of the classroom when the bell rung, or passed to the front of the class just before the bell rung. Students did not have a lot of "personal stuff" that weighed them down to carry.
If the school board could see my school and how the students responded to the learning situation with total focus on the object of the learning lesson, they would be amazed. It is remarkable how different a school is when there are no lockers and no book bags. It is better for the students who have no weight to carry around and nothing to distract from getting to the next class. I vote to go back to the good of days when books were carried in a little bound stack, pencils (no ink) were available in every class and paper was used, mistakes lined through, and never thrown away.
Look on any university campus today and notice that the first students must adapt to is not having a locker.
Edna Earl Hughes, Retired Texas Certified Teacher.
In Topics: Back to school

|

Totaltutor
Totaltutor writes:
I think it is a bad idea to remove school lockers.  This is place for the child to escape. It is their home away from home.

0
0