nataly
nataly , Child Professional, School Administrator, Teacher, Parent asks:
Q:

How can visual arts help to teach a foreign language?

I always try to find some new ways to help my students in learning English. The more creative  the methord is, the better your students are.
Now I work with young designers. They are very interesting and creative people. They dislike be taught through reading or writing. They like to be always active. I was told that visual arts can be helpful in this case. I'd like to get any advice.
In Topics: Learning styles and differences

|

This is a great question.  My daughter has learning disabilities and was a true visual learner.  Like your students, she always yearned for creative ways to learn.  However, she shied away from reading because it was so hard.  Knowing that she loved the arts (including television and movies) we decided that she should read books that were in a "script" format or had a lot of white space between paragraphs.  Eventually, she wrote a lot of her homework that needed to be memorized as a script with pictures to help as a mnemonic.  Memorizing history lessons and science became more fun and meaningful to her when she could play upon her strengths vs. having to make sense of "groups of words".

I also have heard of "quilting" as a creative mode for learning.  Each student can take a part of a story or lesson and design a block for a paper quilt.  Then they are attached and displayed for all to see and learn.

Have fun and thanks for a great question.

1
0

saraappleyard
saraappleyard writes:
The Metropolitan Opera in New York is working with 18 school districts around the country on the The Met: HD Live in Schools program.  Students see live HD performances beamed to area movie theaters.  Teachers receive in-person professional development and rich curriculum guides.  The opera curriculum is woven into language, music and arts courses.  Students and teachers really love the program!

1
0
BanterAboutArts
BanterAbout... , School Administrator, Teacher writes:
Art is language. Get your students actively involved in communicating through the arts. For example, help them understand that line, texture, value, and shape are the "alphabet" of the designer. Help them to understand that the notes on the bass and treble clef are the "alphabet" of the musician. Help them to know that words and phrases are inextricably linked to design and are the voice of the poet. Encourage them to see what other young artists are saying through their creative language.

1
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
Those who are more inclined in art, like the ones who went to interior decorating schools and other art schools, have this ability to connect and interact with other people. If they can express themselves through the art works that they do, then they surely will be able to teach other foreign languages.

0
0
garyhansen
garyhansen writes:
I believe it can be extremely helpful in helping students to communicate and learn a foreign language through the utilization of visual art tools and equipment. Through the help of visual arts there can be greater channels and avenues through the help of which they can showcase their true potentials and expertise in a manner that can help them in the long run in getting and strengthening their grip on their linguistic fundamentals. In many online universities and institutes it is integral that such tools are used for better academic progress and development

0
0