trideltmom
trideltmom asks:
Q:

Do votes for "best dressed" and "most athletic" hurt kids with already low self esteem?

How do you feel about this? Should our 12 year old kids be asked to vote on the "cutest", "Best dressed", "Most Athletic", "Best all around" students in their class?
 Do you think it is a good way to recognize their peers? Or will it hurt those with already low self esteem? Are popularity contests really what the teachers should be using their time with?
 Any and all input is welcome!!
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships

|
rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
I think that these sorts of designations, in middle school, probably only serve to reinforce the pain and confusion of middle school social life. It is a stretch, even in high school, to have an officially sanctioned popularity contest. I think that this sort of thing should be reimagined as something a little more constructive: "Most Likely to Succeed," "Hardest Worker," "Most friendly," "Most Creative," etc, so that kids are recognized for their good personalities and work in school.

0
0
Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hi Carol,  I agree that this seems like it could be really upsetting for kids who are already in one of the most awkward and uncomfortable stages of their lives.   I think some parents are going to extraordinary lengths to protect their children from ever experiencing any dissapointment (it's still a little strange to me that we don't keep score or declare winners in my son's soccer league and I've heard kindergarten teachers say that they have kids coming to class who have never lost so much as a Chutes and Ladders game).  However, I think declaring "winners" (and therefore "losers") about things the kids have no real control over ("cuteness") is a bad idea.  

Have you reached out to the school to talk about your concerns?  Have you talked to other parents?  I'm guessing if enough parents went to school and said "we think this is a bad idea and here's why..." it might be enough to change or eliminate the "tradition"

Please let us know how things go.  I'm sure you're not the only person concerned about this!

0
0