Q:

Should I wait another year before enrolling my son in kindergarten?

"I have a son who will turn 5 on July 24.  The kindergarten teachers are telling me I should hold him out one more year. He can count to 100, and he can count to 100 by 10's. He knows all the letters of the alphabet what sounds the letters make. Write his name. Knows his phone number and address and is reading kindergarten books. But they say boys with summer birthdays mature a lot slower. I do not know what to do."

Asked by Christina in commenting on the article, "Kindergarten Readiness: More Than Academics":
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Ki...  
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
fritzr
fritzr writes:
It sounds like the teachers ae making a blanket statement that provides bogus logic.  By the same logic, boys mature slower than girls at that age so I could make the argument that all boys should be held back a year.  Every child is different and has a unique set of circumstances. It sounds like your son is more than ready academically.  If the teachers making these comments have direct experience with your son and feel he's not mature enough then you should certainly hear them out.  If they don't know your son then I'd disregard their statements. enroll your son, and find out for yourself.

0
0
Hi, Adding to the previous answer you received...

Here are some expert insights you can also review to help you in your decision-making process:

Kindergarten Readiness
http://www.education.com/topic/kindergarten-readiness/

The Parent's Guide to Kindergarten
http://www.education.com/grade/kindergarten/

With this educational milestone, also comes some health preparation too; specifically childhood vaccinations: http://www.education.com/special-edition/childhood-immunizations-vaccinations/

All the best to you and your son, and thanks for asking!

0
0
Ashley.Lowe
Ashley.Lowe writes:
Even if you hold him out for another year, you could do things at home with him to prepare him even further. I am using the Phillip Roy Academy Pre-K curriculum with my 3 year old daughter, and it's wonderful. Take a look at it and see what you think. I hope this helps!

0
0
Friendforyou
Friendforyou writes:
Academically your son sounds ready, but is he ready emotionally?  Would he do better as one of the younger kids or one of the older kids?  How is his fine motor?  School requires kids to do a ton of writing- an extra year will definitely help there.  Develop a list of pros for waiting and/or enrolling.  Go with your instinct.  Good luck!

0
0
MimiR
MimiR writes:
Sure, if you want to permanently depress your child's IQ.

Look, there has never been shown any benefit statistically to holding children out for a year, and matched-cohort statistics have shown that it permanently decreases a child's adult intelligence...so why do it?  The skills listed are skills normally TAUGHT in Kindergarten.  The K teacher wants you to have done her job for her.  She should get off her backside and do it herself.

0
0
SarahSecrest
SarahSecrest writes:
It sounds like he is ready!!  Don't beleive what the teachers say, sometimes they get stuck on what "think" they know.  You know your son the best, What do you think is right for your son?

I have a 4 year old who turns 5 in April.  He still does not know all of his colors, alphabet, and numbers plus has a speech problems.  The teachers believe that he is ready, but says he might be a little behind.  It is my belief that it is better to hold them back now at a young age then do it later.  I still am not sure what to do for him.  

If I where you I would ask some questions that the teachers would have to prove that he is not ready.  Like by the end of the year what how many numbers is he suppose to know, what books are they suppose to be reading in K, what colors he is suppose to know, etc.  When they answer you can tell them what he knows.  Find out why they think he is not ready.  If it is just because that his birthday falls in the summer that is not enough reason to keep him out.  If you have a Kindergarten round up in your area they will usually spend time to find out what the kids know and what they still have to learn.  This also lets the teacher spend time with the kids to get to know their personality. Sign up for that, if you don't ask them if they will spend a few minutes to see what he knows.  Sometimes you have to prove to the teachers that he belongs there.

The worst case is that you send him to school and find out that he is not ready and can hold him back the next year.  But from what you say, HE IS READY!!

0
0
LoriDay
LoriDay , Teacher writes:
Wow, this is coincidental, but I recently wrote an article on this EXACT topic for Funderstanding. Rather than cut and paste, here's the link:

http://loridayconsulting.com/wordpress/redshirting-in-the-age-of-academic-kindergarten/

Hope it helps answer your question!

Lori Day
Educational Consultant

2
0