Show me another question in this topic
Grandma2000
Grandma2000 asks:
Q:

Should you wake a sleeping 8 yr old to make them take a bath before bed? I say no let them shower in me morning. My daughter disagrees. Please Help

My 8 year old grandson plays sports. He spent the night with me the other night after practice and as soon as we got home he fell asleep. My daughter was furious that I let him sleep and didn't wake him to take a shower. I don't see the logic or comon sence in waking him, making him shower then making him go back to bed. Apparently he was exhusted from 1 1/2 hours of football practice. I know that cleanliness is next to Godlyness and I am all for good hygene but he was sound asleep and he showered as soon as he got up the next morning. Please help.
In Topics: Sleep and rest

|

The question really is why was he so tired.  Yes, I would agree that he should shower. Going to bed covered in dirt and sweat is not healthy and leads to impetigo and other skin irritations.

Were the practices too late?  Did he eat before? Should some one speak to the coach? or is he still too little to handle this late day work out and should find another sport? Practice "under the lights" for this age group is too late.

During youth football season many youngsters walk right into the shower the minute they get home and not into the bed.  You didn't do any harm; however, I would agree with your daughter.

2
0

Literacyounts
Literacyounts writes:
I agree with Grandma 2000. Geez. Let the child sleep. Waking him may mean that he won't get back to sleep, thus missing much-needed rest (especially w/ such an active lifestyle...seems that sleep is extra important). He can always "get clean" in the morning but he may never be able to get back the missed sleep. If the concern is cleanliness, then for heavens sake, just change the sheets in the morning. Sleep trumps a shower in my book.

2
0
Sleep is more of a priority in my opinion than a shower. Children need rest! In fact, if children do not get the adequate sleep they need which for his age group is 10 hours of sleep a night to function at a healthy level the next day. However, hygiene is what your daughter is focusing on. And yes, he needs to be taught this as well. Taking a shower in the morning is fine, but I would wash his bedding more frequently. Good Luck

1
0
LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:
I would vote for sleep.  However, the next time please make sure that no cuts or scrapes go unnoticed and cared for before he has an opportunity to relax and perhaps fall asleep. Although rare, some serious infections can happen from unattended cuts and scrapes.

Thanks for writing to JustAsk.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

1
0
Show me another question in this topic