Anonymous
Q:

What to do if 5 year old girl most of the time mentions her boy classmates to be her partner?

My 5 year old daughter is in kindergarten. She is active and good in studies also. Most of the time she mentions her boy classmates to be her dance partner. One day she was standing in front of the mirror and said to her granny that I'm seeing one boy with me in mirror and I want to kiss him. Please don't forbid me to do that. Her granny allowed her. Later on she told me about everything and said in future if she wants to do this kind of thing please don't forbid her or else she would hide from us and whenever she is alone she'll do.
I'm confused, was that a right way to handle the situation?
Please suggest some favorable answers.

|

It is important to teach a 5 year old child what is appropriate and inappropriate in different settings.  If she is playing make believe on her own that she has a boy who is her "partner," that is perfectly normal. If her behavior makes other people uncomfortable, you should address it calmly. Typically 5 year olds are easy to re-direct to another activity or train of thought, so that might be a possible option to try in an effort to avoid this behavior in the future. Careful observation and calm discussion with her may help you identify why she is doing it. Some children like to do things for attention especially if they are reinforced in any way by those around them.  Children at this age also mimic behaviors that they observe.  As a result, you may want to monitor her TV shows to make sure they are age appropriate in their content and story lines.  As her mother, if you are not comfortable with her behavior then it is important that you address it in a calm manner to set her up for success in the future.  

0
0