veramonroe
veramonroe asks:
Q:

What are ways that could be presented to support children with different learning stlyes?

In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|
lofran
lofran , Teacher writes:
Hi Veramonroe,

I was glad to read your inquiry.  Being aware of and wanting to support different learning styles is a great topic.

Education.com has a multitude of articles defining learning styles and how to support them.  As a former elementary school teacher, I recommend exploring the topic with your children and/or students.  I always found that the more students understood about their own learning style, the more empowered they became, as learners, and they could better advocate for themselves in the classroom.  It was also equally important, that I, as the educator, evaluated whether or not my lessons addressed the various learning styles that my students possessed.

Here is a link for an information topic on “Different Learning Styles.”  Here you will find numerous articles below on the topic.

http://www.education.com/topic/different-learning-styles/

Enjoy the information!

Best regards,
Lori

2
0
LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
Studies from the National Institutes of child Health and Human Development have shown that for children with difficulties learning to read, a multisensory teaching method is the most effective way for these students to learn.  

Multisensory teaching means the teachers must tap into all learning modalities - see it (visual) , feel it (tactile) , hear it (auditory) and move with it (kinesthetic) .  Most teachers rely heavily on teaching the curriculum using the auditory and visual learning approaches.  The teacher will talk and the child will read the information or look at diagrams and pictures or what the teacher has put up on the board or the overhead projector.  Although this will benefit students that learn well using their visual and auditory pathways, it will not benefit a child who has dyslexia, auditory or visual processing disorders.  It will also not benefit a child with ADHD who has difficulties focusing and concentrating.  These children will also need to involve the use of touch and movement.  This could involve writing the letters in the air, tracing letters on sandpaper, writing them with whipcream, etc.  This is what gives the child's brain tactile and kinetic memories.

1
0