sabrinanewman
sabrinanewman , Parent asks:
Q:

What are some ways I can work on Potty Training with my Five year old?

I have a five year old son who has Autism and possibly ADHD.  I have been trying since he was three to potty train him to no avail.  I have tried books, movies, games, etc.  My husband tries to take him into the bathroom with him but he refuses.   I take him into the bathroom with me and he will go willingly - yet, obviously, I am illequipped.  We even have bought him a special toliet seat that is just like a regular seat yet small enough for him to sit on without feeling like he's going to fall through.  We have even tried the other potty seats - like the one that sit on the floor and they use except he's too big for them.  He is supposed to go into kindergarten next school year and I am running out of options of how to get him to go potty.
In Topics: Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome, Potty Training

|

Potty training is one of the most frustrating tasks for any parent, and especially so when a child has learning challenges.

One parent who I worked with many years ago had very creative ideas to help children with special needs successfully potty train.

FEED THE FISH.. Each time a child completes the "task" he/she may feed the fish.  Getting a small beta fish can be calming and helpful.

PENNY POND- After completing the task, the child gets a penny (or other change) to then pitch in to a local penny pond

FOOD DYE-  After the child has urinated in the toilet they can use food dye to change the color.

Other resources may be found here:
http://autism.about.com/od/childrenandautism/ss/toilettrain_3.htm

Good luck!!

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

3
0
Anonymous