Shelltotell
Shelltotell asks:
Q:

What is the best age to begin kindergarten?

What is the best "age" to begin kindergarten?  I know it varies from state to state.  In our state, you must be 5 on or before December 2.  I have a daughter who will be five at the end of November, just before the cut off.  We are struggling if we should send her to kindergarten this year.  It would make her one of the younger ones in her class, however, she seems more than ready, and wants to start kindergarten.  The school day is only a half day.  She is very mature in that, she can sit for long periods of time and focus, and follow instruction.  She did very well in preschool.  I can't imagine her doing another year of preschool relearning the same things and then going to kindergarten to relearn some of those things again... If she was at least five I wouldn't hesitate, its because she is four that makes me wonder.  I have a couple of friends who have held their children for whatever reason...and I wonder if that is the "norm" or if starting on time according to your district is the standard.  
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Hi Mom!
I see your answer in your question. "more than ready", "wants to start", "only half a day", "she is mature", "she can sit for long periods", "she can focus"
Do not get hung up on the "age" thing. She's close enough. That is only a guideline and not carved in stone.
Sounds to me like she is more than ready, she's going to love K!! Let her go!!
You and your daughter will be happy you did.

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education. com Team

0
0
kgpc
kgpc writes:
There are a lot of arguments from both sides (advocates of earlier or later admission). No one should forget, that parental care, especially in early years of young human, is something that could not be overestimated. It is not only the matter of education, but also emotional development of child.
www.kindergarten-duesseldorf.de

0
0
lotus1
lotus1 writes:
In my view as soon as  a child can express her views and fit with toilet training shold be sent to KG...Its best time for the child to learn sharing which is must from beginning...At kg classess children will like to draw and know alphabets and can learn words fast...

0
0
curious4abry
curious4abry writes:
I would say to trust yourself and your daughter...if she is wanting to go and seems able to listen and follow directions and not be a distraction for the rest of the class - then she is probably ready. I am in the same boat with my son - but I have decided to wait another year. I'd rather him have the advantage mentally and physically. Boys are different.  My neighbor sent their son to K days after he turned five but he is a huge distraction - not sitting still or following direction. I personally dont; think its fair to the teacher or the rest of the class but they can't afford another year of day care/preschool. It's a tough decision - but I'm sre you'll make the right one. Truthfully - even if you realize you sent her too early - so you hold her back - kids at that age don't really understand and it's better to do it in K then in 2nd or 3rd grade. Good luck to you.

1
0