jtorres
jtorres asks:
Q:

What are the best chapter books?

What are the best chapter books for readers 8 - 12?
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|

Reading is Fundamental and Parents Choice have provided a wonderful list of recommended books with stories including "universal moral values" for children between the ages of four and eight, as well as nine and twelve. Check it out!
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Booklist_Finding/

3
0

rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
Some personal, off the beaten track favorite series':

Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome (English schoolchildren, sailboats, camping, a classic)
Half-magic - Edward Eager (four children and lots of strange magical happenings)
Dealing with Dragons - Patricia C. Wrede (friendly dragons, rebellious princesses, long before "Shrek" found irony in fairy tales).

I have a lot more suggestions, but want to see what other people think!

0
0
Campbell
Campbell writes:
Early readers (about age 7-8), Toys Go Out, My Father's Dragon, The Magic Tree House Series, The Weather Fairies series, The Rainbow Fairies series.  For a little older, anything by Beverly Cleary and the non-fiction series, "Who Was..."  "Who Was Amelia Earhart?"  "Who Was King Tut?"  I'm interested in more advice for a 7 year old who is reading beyond her years and by herself.  She blows through Magic Tree House and The Weather Fairies asking for longer books and reading constantly.  But it's challenging to find content that is not too life informing or frightening at the level that she's reading.

Thanks, Marcie

0
0
LDavy
LDavy writes:
I loved the series Animorphs, by K. A. Applegate, when I was that age.  It's about a group of kids who can turn into any animal they touch who have to fight off evil body-invading aliens.  

0
0