supermom25
supermom25 asks:
Q:

What's the most effective way to potty train a 2 year old boy?

My son is 1 year and 11 months. His Dr. says he's advanced mentally; he's 2 going on 3. My son began showing signs of potty training readiness at 10 months old. If I sit him on the potty he goes (sometimes). I can't seem to time him. if he goes at 2:15 in the potty, he'll go at 2:17 on the floor. I've tried using the toilet, he doesn't like it. I've tried standing him up. I've tried having him wear underwear but peeing in his underwear does not make him uncomfortable. I understand boys are unable to hold their pee like girls. But what I don't understand is why is it so difficult to train a boy but so easy to train a girl? I had my daughter potty trained in 2 weeks. My son on the other hand has been training for an entire year. Does anyone have any suggestions?
In Topics: Potty Training

|
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
boys generally take much longer to potty train than girls.  their control is not as good as girls. the best time to this is in summer, to let him run around naked in your yard.
Boys become potty trained around 3 - 4 years.  starting early can cause anxiety which in turn prevents them from wanting to become potty  trained.  patience and time will set him on course.

1
0
WMChambers
WMChambers writes:
Hi supermom25,
I know your pain, I have 4 boys ages 24, 26, 27 and 5.(yes 5)  All 4 of them were different in how they reacted to potty training so consider this when anyone gives you advice on your son.  Here's what I can tell you, be patient he will be ready when he is ready.  With my 5 year old we started to potty train him at around 2 and became frustrated with the lack of interest he showed in any rewards we offered for success.  We stopped trying and waited for some sign that he was ready.  Those signs came around his 3rd birthday and from it was only about a month and for the most part it was done.  Anyway, like I said just go with the flow (sorry bad pun) and I bet he will come around soon!

0
0