kylee06
kylee06 asks:
Q:

I was wondering if my child needs to know the ABC's when pointing to them?

In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Helping my child with reading

|

childpsychmom

When your child is first learning their letters, they'll often just point at a letter and name one (even when they are wrong!). That's just the start of their learning! After continued practice and your help, they'll get the hang of pointing to their letters and naming them correctly. Simple flashcards can help and so can other fun letter learning activities. I'm attaching the link to a creative one that you can use to practice letters with your child. Before you know it they'll be pointing to their ABCs and actually getting it right!

Best of luck!

Polly Dunn, Ph.D.

www.ChildPsychMom.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/childpsychmom
Facebook: www.facebook.com/childpsych
0
0

Hi kylee06,

Yes, your child should be able to randomly identify the ABC's when pointing to them.  However, you did not mention the age of your child, in the beginning they will not recognize the letters, but through fun play they will begin to recognize each letter, even missed up and identify the letter when it's pointed to.  

Education.com has lots of wonderful activities and worksheets that you may enjoy.  Also, work with the sounds that the letter makes, choose something in the house (say door) what letter do you think it begins with?  They will begin to learn the beginning consonants, which is helpful later with reading and spelling.  I've included a link to STARFALL, which is a great child friendly site that will help with letters & sounds, your child will be able to work freely on this site and it is really helpful.  Our elementary school allows the children to work on this site daily in Kindergarten.

Hope this helps & Best Wishes!

0
0