LINDSEY21
LINDSEY21 asks:
Q:

why wont my 3 year old son with autism eat only babyfood? he just now started drinking from a cup...his dr said

he is ok cause his weight is very good and he is tall...
In Topics: Nutrition, Eating disorders

|

Children with autism are developmentally delayed and may take their time to catch up with certain milestones.  Also, your child may have aversion to rougher food textures and he prefers the smoother feel of the baby food.  I am glad to hear that he grows appropriately, so this is not an immediate concern.  

0
0

Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:

0
1
carynm
carynm writes:
Hi, Lindsey21, I have a six year old son with Autism and he has had food issues for years.  I feel your pain and would not suggest you NOT take a "wait and see" approach as we did.  Do something now! Talk to your pediatrician again and push for prescriptions and/or referrals to specialists including an Occupational Therapist and/or ABA therapist for additional help.  Most insurance will cover it but, in my experience, it is a long wait on assessments, evaluations, and insurance approvals for therapy. While you wait, I highly recommend reading this book, Food Chaining:The Proven 6-Step Plan to Stop Picky Eating, Solve Feeding Problems, and Expand Your Child’s Diet.  It is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble. Best wishes!

0
0