xtriste.bonitax
xtriste.bon... asks:
Q:

Can "work" be considered a extra-curricular activity? why or why not?

I am currently employed and working a part time job which takes me away from joining clubs and being more involved in school, but I need the money. I know that being involved in your school is a great thing to add to college applications but what about work? I work hard and learn different things that I can apply later in life like cooperating with co-workers and social skills. I think I learn more working than being in a club.
In Topics: Outside the classroom, Jobs/Careers, Getting ready for college

|

MomSOS

Extra-curricular activities are usually considered to be those established by a school outside of their curriculum, but still associated with school.
That being said, work counts in the larger scheme of preparing you for life.
I suggest that, rather than just list your work as an "activity," that you cull out the learning experiences that you point to here, such as social skill building and cooperation.
Give some serious thought to how the job has affected you in these areas, and others.  then, build your thoughts about your experience and your growth into a powerful autobiographical statement for your applications.

Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP
1
0
Anonymous