Anonymous
Q:

How do I make a work sheet of my childs name for her to practice writing it?

|
LindaBologna
LindaBologna writes:
Hi!  You did not say how old the child is, but I'm assuming preschool or kindergarten, since that is when children begin learning to write their names.  My granddaughter, a kindergarten student, has cerebral palsy, and needs extra help in writing letters.  She can trace if I make the letters in dotted lines.  But I was getting so tired of making all those dotted lines.   There aren't any dotted line fonts on my computer.  So I took another approach.  First I found a font that has letters that look like they are being taught in school.  (example:  the lower case "a"  is a circle with a stick on the right, not a curved tail that goes above it.)  The font I found on my computer is called "Avant Guard."  Next step:  In MS Word, I went to format, and selected that font, a large size, such as 48 or 72, then I selected "outline."  You will find it in the format window, where the selections are underline, super script, shadow, etc.  Select "Outline."  Begin typing your child's name.  Adjust size to your preference.  If you would like the outline to be a little lighter, change the color selection to gray.  The resulting letters will be a narrow outline with just enough space for her to draw the lines inside.  If you have made the letters gray, the lines she writes will be darker, and she will see the results more easily.  I fit the 5 letters of my granddaughter's name 4 times down one page. About 1 1/2 inches below each outlined word, I typed a row of "underlines"  across the page, so she could practice writing it on her own.  Or you could use a ruler to draw the base line, top line, and dotted middle line for her to write.  So, my finished typed page had her name 4 times for tracing, and below each name, the blank lines for further practice.  She loves this activity.
We also use it each week to practice writing each new letter or word she learns in school.  I love it, because it is so quick to make a worksheet.  I created a template with the font and color selections, and saved it in My Documents as "Letter Template."  I open the template, type the new words for the week, save it under a new name, and print.
MS Word also has hundreds of fun borders you can add to make it more attractive to the child.  Enjoy!

1
2
Amber-Ice
Amber-Ice writes:
by taking one letter at a time and when she/he gets all the letters down then start tying them together until he/she learns how to write her name. :) hope this answer helps you out.

0
1
spriggsmom
spriggsmom writes:
http://handwritingworksheets.com

i found this website and it works great.... hope it helps you..

7
1
chrash3
chrash3 writes:
Hi! If you go to www.handwritingworksheets.com you can create worksheets for your child to trace letters, words, their own name. And it's free!

2
1
Lynn32
Lynn32 writes:
She's 5, and in kindergarten

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
When working on letters in a name, its always helpful to work on one letter at a time.  Make sure she knows the name of the letter before writing it.  Choose LARGE paper or an easel to write on.  We have better motor memory in our larger joints and muscles.  Have her imitate you as you write the letter big.  Then have her trace the letter. Next have her copy the letter looking at the model.  When she is confident, introduce small paper for writing.

0
0