Q:

How to work with teachers to make sure that your gifted child can be challenged in learning?

"I have a son that is nearly 5 years old. He started speaking at 7 months (that everyone could fully understand) and spoke in 3 word sentences before he was 1. At 15 months he had learned the entire alphabet (on his own). His memory is absolutely extraordinary and he can recall virtually anything he reads or hears even if it's one exposure.

He can now read and comprehend text at a 6-9 grade level and understands math at least a 3rd grade level (can add and multiply in his head). He hasn't started Kindergarten yet and I've been extremely concerned about what he will do in school particularly if he has already mastered material years ahead of his peers.  

I don't want to accelerate him in school because of social /emotional development as well as fine and gross motor skill development (all which seem completely on target in terms of developmental milestones).

My question is how does one work with your child's teacher in the various grades to make sure that your child can have differentiated education such that they can be challenged and learn something during the academic year.  

I just want to have a well adjusted child that will enjoy school and not potentially become disruptive in class if he becomes bored. Any suggestions?"

Asked by a parent anonymously in commenting on the article, "Is Your Child Gifted?": http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Yo...
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), My gifted child

|

Allyn Anderson

Contact your local school district and ask to speak to the person in charge of services for gifted/talented students. Local districts usually have programs for these students; they'd be able to tell you what's available in the local area, as well as the services the school provides.

In your spare time, check out educational resources. Become familiar with Howard Gardner's work. He has numerous books on the market that will give you ideas to help keep your child motivated. Check out other resources, which focus on gifted children. I've included one site below for your reference. Enjoy your journey as you learn to nurture and focus your child's learning.
0
0
Anonymous