nouf
nouf asks:
Q:

I am a working mother of a 28 months boy. I have just enrolled him in preschool, he hates it and he is more attached to me. He cries when I go to work.

i am a working mother of a 28 months baby boy i have just enrolled him in preschool.. the first week was fine because i attended with him.. the second week was a disaster he cries every morning and hates school so much... he is more attached to me now he doesn't want to go any where without me and he even cries allot when i go to work.. i am afraid that my work is affecting him negatively or making him feel un loved.. please advice
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family, Preparing my child for preschool, Work/family balance

|

Although very stressful to parents, children go through separation anxiety at certain developmental stages.  Separation anxiety is very common at your son's age, and it can be exacerbated by stress associated with changes.  You can help your son feel better about the separation by providing him with a transition object, such as a baby blanket or his favorite toy that he can carry around when you are not with him.  

To outgrow separation anxiety, your son must feel safe (having a predictable routine will help), he must trust you that you will come back, and he must learn to trust others.  You can condition him to being without you by leaving him with another caregiver for short periods of time initially, and then lengthen the time before you return.  

If your son's anxiety worsens or does not go away in a couple of months, you might need to consult with a pediatric psychiatrist.

0
0
Anonymous