Q:

I am worried about my 7 year old's behavior. She's mischievous, doesn't sit still, and gets scared in class.

"My daughter is of 7 years old and very mischievous. She also cannot seat at one place for a moment and very much talkative in class. She is also good in studies, but one problem is that she gets scared with her own teacher and when teacher tells something in class to read she gets scared in the school. I am very worried for her. What should I do?"

Asked by Rupa in commenting on the article, "Helping the Very Active Child": http://www.education.com/magazine/article/helpi...
In Topics: School and Academics, ADHD & attention issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

MomSOS

Seven year olds can be mischievous and talkative both at home and in class. To some extent this behavior is normal. However, if the behavior is causing problems for her in school or for the family at home, it might need to be addressed with some behavioral solutions.  

Typically, you would want to create firm, loving and consistent limits around the behaviors you want to decrease. And be sure to follow up on the consequences you set in place if your daughter breaks the "rules," that  is, the limits you set. Consequences are best when small and doable for the parents.

Then consider the possibility that she is looking for attention.  Both these behaviors can be attention seeking mechanisms.  You might want to try establishing routines at home where you give attention for positive behaviors you want to increase.  

As for school, I suggest you speak with your child's teacher  This makes me wonder how the teacher has handled your daughter being talkative in class.  Perhaps you can devise a behavior plan with the teacher to help reduce the talking and reduce the fears.  I think it would be important to find out what is going on in the class that is making your 7 yr. old afraid.

And here's a thought for you.  I wonder what your daughter is trying to say, or accomplish, with all the talking?  Is she trying to make friends? Get the teacher's attention?  Draw the other kids' attention to her? Avoid work?  You might want to speculate with the teacher  about what might be going on, and then devise a plan accordingly.

But, take heart.  This issue sounds like it can be addressed with a little thought, a little effort, and a little support from the school.

Let us know how it goes.

Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP
2
0
Anonymous