Melinda123
Melinda123 asks:
Q:

Writing for Preschoolers

When teaching preschoolers to write, should you start with upper case or lower case letters?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
MissKatyLB
MissKatyLB writes:
I would suggest teaching them together, upper AND lower case.  Hard to "unteach" a child to write properly if they have only learned either or!  Good Luck!

0
1
joycebeckner1
joycebeckner1 writes:
upper case

0
0
Melinda123
Melinda123 writes:
Thanks. Also, what type of writing utensil is best to learn with?

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
It would be helpful to know what age you are teaching letters to.  From a developmental standpoint diagonal perception does not appear until between 4 1/2 years and 5 years.  Therefore younger children will have more difficulty with letters using diagonals such as N,M etc.  Its wise to introduce letters to younger children but not to expect writing them until they have the developental skills needed to do so.  At any age when teaching letters or shapes, its important to start with very large shapes or letters as our larger joints and muscles have better motor memory than our little fingers.  Also if you can have the children write on a vertical surface rather than a flat surface its helpful in developing the correct tool grip.   Handwriting Without Tears has a wonderful preschool writing program! There are also free downloadable brochures on handwriting at www.lynaot.com

2
0
SusanHemberger
SusanHember... writes:
Most preschoolers will learn to recognize upper case letters first. When beginning to write children can copy either case letters.  By the time a child is ready to read it is nesessary to know all the letters ( both upper and lower case) and the sounds they can make.  Most words in print are read in lower case letters.

2
0
MCContreras
MCContreras writes:
I would recommend Upper Case Letters.  My son learned how to write upper case letter before Kinder as they were easier to recognize.  Now, that he is in Kinder he is learning how to write the lower case letters.  Matching the lower case letters to their upper case letter does not seem to be a struggle.

0
0
meveronica21
meveronica21 writes:
A kindergarten teacher told me that he would rather have the children know the lower case letters... because 99% of the time the letters that they are seeing are in lower case font. When the children recognize the lower case letters they can participate more in the activites. Knowing their lower case letters first will give them a boost to want to learn the uppercase letters.  Hope this helps.

1
0
eden1964
eden1964 writes:
I get on my soap box about this........I think it is VERY important to teach young preschoolers to Write their name in Uppercase first.   The reason I teach uppercase first is because developmentally 3/4 year olds (some 5's) do not have the fine motor skills to correctly form lowercase letters. By being succesful in uppercase, the lowercase comes much easier....when they are ready. I do work with them on proper formation (top to bottem, left to right)    The way I see it, you would not expect a 3 year old to ride a bike without training wheels, why would I expect them to write in a way that they are not developmentally prepared for??  I want them to be succesful, not frustrated by the process.

1
0
redmatilda1
redmatilda1 writes:
Before my son entered kindergarten last year the school has kindergarten assessment testing, I had taught my son to write uppercase and we were working on lowercase but after the testing was done I wished I had switched it around.  The teachers said that they teach lowercase recognition and lowercase writing first and then they will teach uppercase.  So to answer your question I would teach lowercase first, the teacher also said that when learning to read the child will see more lowercase letters than uppercase. Hope this helped.

1
0
siobhanm
siobhanm writes:
Developementally, preschoolers and kindergarteners are not ready for lower-case; a lot aren's even developmentally able to imitate diagonals; always teach upper-case first and make sure the child is successful w/ upper-case before moving on to lower-case; teaching lower-case too soon just sets the child up for failure-if they're not able to successfully form all the straight lines of upper-case letters, how can they be expected to form all cury-Qs of lower-case letters; also, studies have been done indicating that kids that are forced to learn lower-case too early demonstrate immature writing skills, while those who are taught later (at 6 or 7 years old) retain the information better and demonstrate more mature skills. I don't get the rush, especially when it ends up hindering abilities. By the way, I'm an OT, not a teacher.

1
0
Alena_S
Alena_S writes:
I always start with upper case because it easier

0
0