ckcbeachers
ckcbeachers asks:
Q:

What is wrong with my 10 year old? She doesnt want to go to school.

what is wrong with my 10 year old daughter to cry every day before school and during school she claims she misses me thats why she doesnt want to go and she can't stop herself from crying
In Topics: School and Academics, Anxiety, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

I'm sure you have asked several times, what's wrong and why she doesn't want to go to school.  Well, there could be several reasons.  Here are some thing you can do that might help you narrow down the problem.  (Some of them I shared with another concerned parent here are JustAsk.)

Meet with the teacher to see if she observes any bullying.  Maybe there is another child in the class that is bothering her.

Volunteer in the classroom.  Observe things for yourself.  See how the teacher reacts to her as well as the other students.  

Look for patterns.  When does she refuse to go?  Is it a certain of the week or when she has a certain subject or activity (such as PE)?  Is it when there is a test/quiz?

Talk to other parents of students in the class.  Sometimes children go home and tell their parents stories about who is being picked on.  Also, you child may have told them what is really going on.

Check with the school's guidance counselor.  They probably have had a similar situation occur and know how to handle your daughter's problem.

Keep the lines of communication open with your daughter.  

Hope this helps.

1
0

She is either in 4th or 5th grade which this I am assuming. This would be an age at which there could be some hormone changes, which would correlate with the crying. However, you may want to find out what else could be causing the emotional breakdowns. And this is what is going on, it is a "breakdown" of sorts. Think of yourself, what causes you to cry and get upset? It could be stress, hormones, certain kids, a teacher, or perhaps a combination of all of this. The best thing to do is to have an open conversation with her while she is not upset or emotional. You are a sense of comfort for her and this is why she misses you, but it could be something else that is triggering this.
Another thing, is hormones can do some really tricky things to us as girls/women. I would also find her a good doctor and discuss options if it continues. Also, look very closely as your daughter's diet. Some foods can aggravate the symptoms of anxiety and maybe even depression. You may want to go gluten free and put more fruits and veggies as a snack into her diet. Also, a multi-vitamin is a good suggestion. Below is a link to the gummy vitamins that we use. Good luck!

3
0
Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
Definitely checking out what is going on at school that might contribute to your daughter's being upset is a good idea.  However, consider the possibility of your daughter worrying about what might be going on at home when she is at school.  Have there been any changes in your family dynamics or your health?  She either misses you while in school because she is upset by what is going on there, or she is worrying about you.  If you already talked with your child and her teachers and you did not find a solution, consider talking with your daughter's health care provider.  

0
0
justme9598
justme9598 writes:
My daughter now 14 came home from 7th grade on Oct 29 and told me she was not going to school again. I contacted her pediatrician who told me to take her to the hospital for a psychological evaluation. Long story short she spent a week at Sheppard Pratt Day School where she goes from 9-3 to be observed and evaluated. She was diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder and depression. She was given medication and started therapy sessions. She is now in high school and getting good grades and continues to take meds and therapy. Hope this helps and Good Luck!!!

0
0
jassi123
jassi123 writes:
The reason your 10  years dosnt want to go to school is that maybe girls pick on her, she hates her teacher and classmate i think you should talk to the teacher call her or come after school or you can move her class to a different class.You can home school her

0
0
genermcmillan
genermcmillan writes:
Find out the actual problem and give her some physical and mental advice related to it.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Is this new? If this is new I would make an appointment and go in to your daughter's class and sit in the back of the classroom and observe. Is she being bullied? Does she have friends in her school? Have you talked to her teacher? Is she a good student and does well in her subjects?
I would suspect that she might be bring bullied. To get to the bottom of it, go to her school and observe in the classroom.

0
0
Anonymous