ccb123
ccb123 asks:
Q:

Should my three year old attend preschool full time or spend a few days with dad during the week?

Member Added on Aug 15, 2009
I appreciate the responses.  I left out that dad is my ex and primarily sits her in front of the tv.  At least she comes home quoting 2-3 movies per visit with dad and when I ask her what they did, she says "nothing".  I also realize she is 3 and that may not be entirely true.  I talked to her teacher at school and they said she is on track just going like she is and they will touch base with me regularly to see if she should attend more regularly.
In Topics: Preschool

|
Hi ccb123,

I don't think there's any "right" answer for your question - each family has to kind of figure out what's right for them.  The bright side of the difficulty of the question is that you're lucky to be in a position to choose.  Many families feel forced to send their young ones to school full time because both parents work outside the home and many families can't send their preschooler to school as much as they'd like to because they can't afford it.

I personally think that at that young age, spending some time at home with dad is a great thing if it works for your family.  Don't feel pressured to send your three year old to school full time for academic reasons.  Kids that age can learn everything they need to (primarily socialization) by spending just two or three mornings a week at school.   And Dad can do lots of fun learning activities at home during their time together to start to work on the ABCs and 123s a full time school program would offer.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

2
0
dahliaflower
dahliaflower writes:
2  or 3 days with dad should be enough...

0
0
ginaa
ginaa , Teacher writes:
I agree with the previous posters, split the difference. Sending your child to preschool for 2-3 days in the week gives him/her a chance to be with other kids and learn social skills. As for the learning aspect of it, you can do fun stuff around the house to teach kids about numbers, pattern recognition and get them ready for reading. Check out the Preschool Activities section of this website to get a few ideas on the kinds of projects dad can do. Good luck!

http://www.education.com/activity/preschool/

2
0
Redroses1886
Redroses1886 writes:
I personally don't believe a three year old should be in school, especially not full time. Children need to be children. The parents job is to teach at that age. Children have to be in school for 13 years (not counting college) so why push it early. I suggest the child spending more time with the father and giving him activities to do with her . Also taking a child to the playground etc, and letting them play with other children teaches them how to associate with other children. Also if he really really wants her sitting in front of the television there are many preschool videos out there that are amazing and still keeping the childrens attention. This way she is still learning but is getting to spend time a home with her Dad.

1
1