smallville42375
smallville4... asks:
Q:

six year behavior problem at home and school. can anybody help me?

my 6yr old son is having very bad behavior problems and not wanting to listen to myself, his mother, and or his teachers. I took custody from his birth mom last May. i had alot of problems with him at that time but had got better. Put him in kindergarten this year and the school is having alot of problems with him. He will not do his school work. He will be up and down in his seat at school even when the teacher is teaching or talking to him. He has even got candy out of the trash can and eat it. He also talks about his underwear and things that a 6yr old shouldn't even know about (adult activity). that adult activity, he even goes to the extreme of shaking and even tring to show personal parts. The school is wanting to hold him back this year. They say he is to far behind in learning that he isn't ready to move to the first grade. I disagree with that because of this... The teacher can give him work to do in class that morning and he won't do it. The teacher will send it home for him to do. He sits for 3 or 4 hours untill i really get on him to do his work. We as the parents don't explain how to do the work at all. He will then do the work in about 5 minutes or less and it would be the right answers. So to me that tells me that he knows how to do things, but chooses not to do the work at all. Can anybody please help me with this problem in his behavior at home and school?

|

The best thing you can do for your son and family is to continue reaching out for help. You mention several issues concerning your son and his behaviors at home and at school.
Ask yourself these questions: What has changed in his environment at school and at home? Does he like his teacher? Can you observe him or have someone observe him at the school? Is your son tired, hungry, thirsty or not feeling well? When does he not listen to authority the most? When he gets "no" answers or decisions he does not like? Does he earn consequences for his behaviors?
Remember that with help, support, love, consistency, and consequences; your son's behaviors and choices can change.
Having an evaluation by a mental and behavioral health professional could also be helpful. You can also start by talking with your Pediatrician for assistance.
If you feel that you need to talk to someone, you can call the Boys Town National Hotline at 1-800-448-3000. We have a counselors available 24/7 and we talk with kids and parents about various issues. Take care and give us a call.

The Boys Town National Hotline
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0

mother of 2
mother of 2 writes:
Have you tried taking your child to the Peditrician, my son had problems acting out at school and home, we took him to the Dr. and had some tests given come to find out my son has ADD with the proper medication everything is normal my son now gets A's and B's and he is able to sit and concentrate in school as far as your sons behavior at home it sounds like there may be something he really needs to express but is not aware of how to do it, maybe with some counseling things will work out, i wish you and your son the best Signed mother of 2

0
0
Dr. Hillary
Dr. Hillary writes:
Sounds like behavioral problems of your son are evident at home and at school.  I think that you need to speak with his health care provider ASAP.  A laboratory work-up to rule out a medical reason for the hyperactive behavior would be recommended along with an evaluation by a psychologist/psychiatrist team to rule out ADHD or other issues.

Dr. Hillary

0
0