scoutlake3
scoutlake3 asks:
Q:

How can you help a seven year old with impulse control?

|

One thing that can help with impulse control is trying to help children develop emotional recognition.  That way they can go through the following steps...

-Recognizing that they are feeling something-Anger, Sadness Excitement and know that this can lead to poor choices
-Implement a strategy for calming down and coping (Deep breathing, counting to ten, singing a funny song, anything that can help them get through the emotional moment)
-Go to an adult or helper if additional help or support is needed afterwards

Whenever you deal with children and want to take away a negative behavior, you need to replace it with a positive one.  So if somebody cuts me off in traffic, I may curse.  And I can tell myself not to curse the next time it happens, but if I don't give myself something else to do, I may just sit there and seethe, cursing under my breath.  If I were to redirect my energy to something else though it can be very distracting and useful.  I have actually been able to learn to control this by yelling "thank you" to drivers who frustrate me on the road.  It usually gets a laugh from others and tends to immediately lighten the mood in a stressful situation.  It's the same with children.  Try your best to take the steps above to recognize potientially bad behavior far in advance by monitoring emotions and then using techniques to keep even keeled!

If you try this and it does not seem to be effective, then proceed to the counselor's office and look into getting your child evaluated for ADD or ADHD as these make it difficult for any child to stay on task or control thier impulses.  

2
0