LisaRoberson
LisaRoberson asks:
Q:

My five year-old received the "live" vaccination for H1N1 two days ago and now has the symptoms, should I be overly concerned?

My thirteen year-old son and I have been home all week with confirmed cases of Influenza A - which they automatically call H1N1 (according to my doctor). My five year-old just got over bronchitis, was obviously exposed to H1N1, had the nasal vaccination two days ago, and now has the symptoms; do I beg for him to be treated with the medications they are giving kids just one year younger than him? Will his illness be greater because he received the vaccine or because he just got over bronchitis?
In Topics: H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu)

|

Dear Lisa:

The H1N1 nasal vaccine is a cold adapted live virus and takes 1-4 days approximately to be at full immunity. I would encourage you to take your five year old to his pediatrician for examination in light of his brother's illness and his recent bronchitis.  After examination, you and your pediatrician can determine the need for medication.  Neither the vaccine or bronchitis will necessarily hamper the course of his illness.

0
0

Hi Lisa, Sorry to hear about your son's (and your) condition.

Please follow up with your son's pediatrician. A licensed medical professional who can examine, diagnosis and treat your son in person is better equipped to answer your questions than participants in an online forum.

For informational purposes only, I'm including a link below to Education.com's special edition on H1N1. This does not replace the medical advice you would receive in person however.

Good luck -- I hope you and your son are healthy again soon.

0
0